Monday 7 January 2013

7 Things Your Employees Will Never Tell You

Jeff Haden of Inc. Magazine has struck again, this time with a post about...
7 Things Your Employees Will Never Tell You

Here's what your employees might really be thinking, according to Jeff...


1. “Please don’t talk to me about your personal life.”

"Employees, especially new employees, have no interest in hearing about 
your go-to topics like your last vacation or your antique collection or your 
beach house."

2. “Can’t you see I’m really busy?”

"Employees want to talk to you, but they have work to do, too.
Don't interrupt an employee who is busy simply because today you’ve 
decided to “check in with the troops.”

3. “I can tell you really don’t care about my personal life.”

"Either take the time to get to know your employees well enough so you 
can have a decent conversation or just stick to work-related subjects."

4. “You claim you respect me… so give me something important to do.”

"Assigning an employee a critical task is a definite sign of respect. 
Do it as often as you can."

5. “You claim you trust me… so give me something important to
do and let me decide how to do it.”


"When you assign a project without providing a lot of direction your employees 
instantly know you respect their abilities and trust their judgment.
Employees appreciate respect; they love trust."

6. “Actually, I would like to work here a long time.”

"No matter what your industry, high employee turnover doesn’t have to be a 
fact of employment life. Find out why employees leave and address the 
causes. It’s stressful to change jobs, so most employees won’t start job 
searching unless you give them a reason to."

7. “That gift card is nice, but a simple ‘thanks’ is really all I need.”

"Sure, every time you hand out paychecks you’re implicitly saying thanks, 
but find reasons to thank your employees as often as you can. "Thanks for 
taking care of that difficult customer.” “Thanks for jumping in and helping 
Mike.” “Thanks for letting me know we have a problem in the warehouse."

Article continued here:
http://www.inc.com/jeff-haden/what-your-employees-are-really-thinking.html


No comments:

Post a Comment